Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Costume or a Beautiform?!




Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your sweet thoughts and prayers! I really felt them this morning! So much so, that I did not even shed a tear!! Can you believe this totally emotional Moma is saying that? All I know is that somebody was praying that I would not make a complete blubbering fool of myself and (bless your heart!) God answered!! He knew just how bad I am at the blubbering thing and probably didn’t want to put Himself through THAT this morning, either. But the guilt never ends! Now, I feel bad about NOT crying! Imagine that!

Our day started as normal, only a little earlier –but I would find out later that it still wasn’t early enough (All you River Oaks School Mustangs need to get out of my way at 7:45 in the morning!! I’m comin’ through!!) Alise ate only strawberries for breakfast and a little chocolate milk. I helped her brush her teeth and then – this is SO stinkin’ funny – she said, “Mommie, I’m ready to put my costume on, now!”

I must admit. I didn’t get it. The firecracker just didn’t go off…must have been one of those darn Chinese fake ones...ANYWAY!

I said, “W-What? What costume, Baby?”

“This one, Mommie!” and she ran over to the couch and grabbed up the red and blue plaid uniform I had laid out for her.

“OH! You mean your uniform!”

“Yes, Mommie! My beautiform! That’s what I said, my beautiform.”

I’m telling you I CRACKED UP!!

We got dressed and took pictures. Here they are:






I was so glad that we didn’t have trouble finding a parking place. The preschool areas are in the back of the school, and there was plenty of parking. I couldn’t believe how calm and peaceful everything was. No screaming children. No hustle and bustle. No cars honking at one another. Nada. Then, I looked at my watch and discovered that it was straight up 8:00. Oh, gosh! The first day and we were already late!

We entered the preschool lobby area, but all the kids – all 34 of them – were in Ms. T’s room. One of the aids helped us hang Alise’s backpack on the wall of hangers and off she went bouncing into the classroom. I heard someone say my name and it was L. Emma and Allie were there and they were looking for their best friend! All three moms took pictures, but I was the last one, so by that time, the girls were ready to play. I saw Ms. K talking to Alise, but I was standing a little too far away to hear exactly what Ms. K asked her. I saw Alise nod her head. I was thankful for that moment. I really want Alise to like her teacher and school.



A few minutes later, Alise walked up to me and said, “Bye, Mommie!” My heart broke, but it didn’t. Does that make sense?

I said, “W-hell! Are you ready for Mommie to go?” She took off running in the other direction and never answered. I watched her play and wander around Ms. T’s room in awe.

Another few minutes passed and I noticed that I was the only parent left in the room. I didn’t know if I should stay or go. My heart wanted to stay, but my mind told me I should go. The teachers had the children picking up the toys. Then, they were to sit on the rug and listen for their name to be called so “Ms. K’s friends could go with Ms. K to her classroom.” I decided to leave. Alise was sitting on the rug already and I hated to cause a scene just to say goodbye. I would have to crawl over about twenty kids to get to her and the chances of hitting one of them in the head with my Nikon were good. And what if she wigged out when I asked for a hug? No, it was best to go ahead and leave. So…I quietly slipped out the back door and walked to my car. I never got the chance to say good-bye to Alise or tell her that I hoped she had a great day. But I told myself there would be plenty of other days for that.

Around 3 o’clock, I started getting ansy. I even thought about leaving work early so that I could go pick up Baby Girl from school. I knew she would be out by 3:00 and that she would be going to after school care, but I hadn’t signed her up or pre-paid for any of that. I was concerned with what they might do with her. Surely, someone was watching her. So...I left at 4:30 and found her and Allie running around chasing each other around the gym. Just like old times. Just like old friends. It made my heart smile.



I tried my best to get something - anything - out of Alise about her day. She told me she had pizza for lunch and I know that's the truth because the school sent home the menu for the month. She told me that Ms. K read them a "Froggy" book about him going to school. Alise loves the "Froggy" books. She told me that a little boy sits on one side of her and a girl sits on the other side, but she doesn't know either of their names. She told me she took a nap today, but I'm not sure about that. She died as soon as her little head hit the pillow tonight. She was SO tired!


I was so thankful for today. Thankful for the gift of friendship and the power of prayer. Thankful for the gift of my daughter, and the gift of self-control through God’s grace. There have been times before in my life that today would have just sent me over the edge. But I feel like God blessed me with a totally different perspective and for one of the few times in my life, I chose to see Alise’s first day of school through her eyes instead of how I felt or what I wanted it to be like. In other words, my expectations. I concentrated on how much Alise was gaining rather than on what I was loosing. And you know what? It wasn’t that bad. It was great!

Laura.Sign

11 comments:

  1. It sounds like Alise had a wonderful first day of school! I am so proud of you for being so strong. Your daughter is going to appreciate your cool head when she's older and you don't embarrass her. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post Laura! I'm so happy that you and Alise had a great day! It's amazing how the little ones are more ready to let go than the mommy's are isn't it? The first day of preschool, Aidan took off without so much as a kiss goodbye! I was SO sad!
    Alise looks so beautiful in the pictures you took! You did a wonderful job taking such great pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you both had a wonderful day:) I'm very proud of you not crying! Alise looks so cute in her uniform!! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute in her uniform! Love the backpack too! I am glad things went so smoothe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alise looks precious in her beautiform!!! :) I love it! I'm SO happy for ya'll that she had such a great day and you were at peace with the whole "new" situation that you were thrown into. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you. Now, you'll have to hold me up when I have to go through this with Katie one day. Tehe! I have no idea what you may be going through, but God always sees it through.

    I'm so glad Alise enjoyed her first day. BTW, I did find the price for the ballet shoes $19.

    I need a favor. Please remember us in your prayers. I can't go into it right now. I'll let y'all know in good time.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *sigh*, i feel so old! what's the written at the bottom corner of the sheet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. She looks so sweet in that uniform! It sounds like she had a great first day. I'm so glad things went smoothly for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiform!! That is HILARIOUS! She looks so cute! It sounds like she's going to be just fine...and it sounds like you will be, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful first day for you both! I loved her little paper. Please share more with us as you can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why she called it a beautiform; she looked beautiful in it for her first day of school! Her backpack is so cute, too. I got a similar one for my younger daughter, Emma, who has her first day of preschool tomorrow. I have mixed feelings about sending her, so hope I can see the day through her eyes and not through my tears. I'm glad you both had a good first day!

    ReplyDelete