Wednesday, July 02, 2008

A La Mode, Baby!

Guess what! I actually stayed in the pool area tonight during Alise's entire swimming lesson! Can you believe it? She didn't cry a single time! I am so proud of her!! I knew it was going to be a good day when she woke up this morning and said, "We're gonna have fun at swimming lessons today!!" I was afraid she had woken up as someone else's child! We still need to work on putting her head down when she swims and the kicking. Leigh and I were talking this afternoon and I told her that Wayne and I were considering letting Alise take for another week. She said the lessons go so much smoother when you actually have a pool at home. Tomorrow is our last lesson for the week. I'll try and remember to take my camera and get some more pics (I forgot it today). Alise's reward was a trip to McDonald's tonight.

Sweet, Mirya! When I told her yesterday that I started my diet to get ready for the Horton/Mason beach trip in September, she didn’t even ask what I was doing to loose weight. What a gal! (Either that, or she knows as well as I do that it’s a hopeless cause!) So, here is a sugar-free apple pie recipe that I plan to try for July 4th. What is it that is so “American” about apple pie? Maybe it’s just my cravings! I found this recipe on the internet and I’ve had good results when using Splenda in the past, so I thought I’d try it. And, by the way! My idea of celebrating the 4th includes the words: “a la mode.”

1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
5 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
1 golden delicious apple, peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon butter, cut up
1 (15 ounce) package of pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts

Prepare piecrusts according to package directions, fit 1 piecrust into 9 inch pie plate. Stir togehter Splenda, flour, cinnamon mixture. Stir and coat apples with flour sugar mixter, pour into pie plate, dot with pieces of butter. Place remaining pie crust on top, crimp edges and make slits in top crust or pierce evenly with a fork to allow steam to escape during baking. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes. Makes 8 servings.

What kind of foods do you normally cook or eat for July 4th?

Laura.Sign

6 comments:

  1. See I told you. Leigh is right about the pool thing or at least that's what RuthAnne told me. We're going to find out Friday, if Katie remembers all she learned.

    My Momma taught me to never ask such things about women's diet plan or their weight. Shhh! Tehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm sounds good! We are having shish-ka-bobs on the grill and some corn on the cob for our cookout!

    Yay for Alise by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so pleased to hear she was up and looking forward to it! YAY!

    Ya know, Mrs. Chelita has a pool and we are right up the road! Feel free to invite yourselves over!

    I am posting some of the stuff I am making tonight on my blog. But the one thing I am looking forward to is the Red Bean IceCream like I had in Disney! YUM-O! I never make the same stuff other than the veggie burgers. I saw a drink I want to make that layers in blue and red, so pretty and neat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is so cute and pink! I am a pink and green person, so feel right at home here. We usually have shish kabobs and all the fixings with ice cream parfaits for dessert for the Fourth, but we're spending the day with my in-laws tomorrow. My sister-in-law is a great cook, so I look forward to seeing what she has planned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're just having the usual 4th things: bbq chicken,sausage baked beans, potato salad and of course oreo ice cream!! I may try to find some over ripe peaches to make peach ice cream. Brad is ready to try something different!!

    The boys and I are trying to talk Brad into a pool.....wish us luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy.

    I can't wait to try it. Thank you so much for all the delish recipes.

    ReplyDelete