Thursday, June 19, 2008

My Day in Scrubs - Panty hose free

Who died and left the legacy that accountants (aka. "bean counters") must always maintain a "professional dress"? I mean, is it written in an accounting 201 textbook somewhere that "female accountants must suffer in 150 degree weather and 99% humidity in order to maintain a professional code of dress"? Why is it that I have to wear the suit, the pantyhose AND the heels while people like my BFF Leigh get to wear PINK scrubs all day, every day? No fair. I wanna wear pink, too (Obviously, I've been hanging out with my three year old too long! I'm crossing my arms over my chest and pouting right at this very moment!)!

Okay. Hissy fit over. I've counted to 1,000,000 and remembered what the Bible said about, "Thou shalt not covet." I guess that has to do with pink scrubs, too. Back to the real world.

Unfortunately, for me, my "professional job" requires a "professional dress." Every now and then, and sometimes on Friday's, I can get out of wearing panty hose. That's about as good as it gets for me. So when I realized that I would have to help my staff this week with inventory, I was all about heading to the surgery department just so I could wear those cute little scrubs for a while.

If you haven't guessed, I work at a hospital. Twice a year, we conduct a house-wide physical inventory count in each department of the hospital. Normally, the individual departments count their areas and then the finance department "spot checks" those counts to verify accuracy. I usually have my staff do this, but due to letting a few of my employees off for vacation, we're short handed and so I offered to help them out. When surgery called to say they were ready for us, I RAN! It was all about the scrubs, baby! I chunked those panty hose and threw them across the women's locker room! Bam! I was free indeed!! I didn't even mind having to wear the bouffant hair net, the white surgical mask, or the shoe covers. I was playing "Doctor" and I was loving it....panty hose free and all! The only thing that bothered me was that I hadn't seen some of these girlies in a while and they commenced to carrying on a conversation with me right there in the locker room in all my undy-glory like it was no big deal (to them)! I know they're nurses and Lord knows there isn't anything they hadn't seen, but com'on! Did they REALLY need to see that much of their controller? Do you see what lengths I would go to just to wear scrubs?!

Around 3 o'clock, I had had all the screws, plates, staples, sutures, and drapes I could take! Luckily, it was time for shift change and by that time, I was more than happy to shuck those scrubs and go....shopping!!! I had a whole hour and a half to myself before I would need to pick up Baby Girl. My biggest decision was deciding where to go. I ended up at the mall. As usual, I ended up in Gymboree. They have got a 60%-off sale going on right now. I actually picked some shorts and tanks for Alise for next year. They were on sale for $6 bucks each. I got about 8 pieces for less than $40. I thought that was really good. We're all about Gymboree at my house because the clothes are so well made and last a long time. Not to mention their cuteness!

When we got home from Bryan's birthday party on Tuesday night, Alise got sick when we put her to bed. I noticed she didn't eat much of her hotdog that night and what she did eat came back up. (I knew I should have never laughed at Rachel's post!) She wasn't acting like herself at the party...laying on Wayne and telling me she was tired...which is something she never does. I can't help but wonder if maybe she got a little motion sickness from the pool? But last night, she started covering up with her blankets and when I took her temp, she had 100.1 - just enough to make her feel bad. I gave her some Tylenol and she seemed to be fine this morning.

We also kinda had an "experience" in the pool. Alise had on a life jacket and I'm not quite sure what happened, but she lost her balance on the steps and actually went under water. I think it scared her more than anything, but she wasn't too anxious to get back off the steps that night. I'm just hoping that it didn't do damage to our swimming lessons that are coming up on the 30th.

Obviously something happened at school today between Alise and Allie. When I picked up Alise, she was boo-hoo crying saying that she didn't want to be friends with Allie anymore. I never did get the whole story, but I think Allie hit her. She told me in the car that Allie hurt her feelings and she was crying pretty hard. Only three and we've already started the drama!!

Wayne and I are looking forward to tomorrow night. Nana & Papaw are keeping Alise so we have a whole night to ourselves. I had suggested earlier in the week just staying home and ordering a pizza. I figured Wayne wanted to work on the house next door and I need to watch the new Chonda Pierce DVD for Bible Study next month. Then I started thinking, "Yeah! A steak and a movie sound nice! Let's do that!" (Of course, I checked the movies and there is nothing I want to see!) When I asked Wayne what he wanted to do, he said, "Well..we need to go to Sam's and I need to go to Home Depot..." "What?!" I wanted to ask him if he had lost his mind!! I'm not going to Sam's and Home Depot on "date night." No, way, Baby!! I'll just stay home with Chonda Pierce! {I'm not laughing!} No, really. If I know my man, he'll have something special planned (and then after that, we'll go to Sam's and Home Depot!)
Laura.Sign

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely L O V E Gymboree! My brother-in-law thinks the sales girls scurry about the store when they see me coming saying, "She's here, she's here!" Ha! I'm not that bad, but I do love it and buy just about everything Evan and Ella have there. There stuff is so cute and it holds up so well. I rarely buy anything that is not on sale though. You can get some good deals when there is a sale. Sounds like you racked up today! I love Chonda Pierce. I've been to one of her concerts and she cracked me up! Yeah for date night. I hope you guys have a great time. I'm glad Alise is feeling better. A sick baby is the pits. Oh, and you need to tell that hospital it is time to re-write the dress code and get rid of the panty hose thing. What in the world??? It's plain too hot for all that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is the pic of you in the pink scrubs??! That would have been A-dorable! I'm glad Alise is feeling better. Throwing up hot dogs, yuck. I'm sure she'll do fine at swimming lessons. She'll have her mommy and that's all that matters! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had NO idea you had pink scrub envy!! We can work a deal, but not for pantyhose........

    Sorry your date night didn't work out how you planned. If Jake wasn't coming home tonight, I'd go out with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your evening alone. Those don't happen much around here. I'm sure you will do something fun!

    I hope Alise is feeling better! Not much worse than a sick kid.

    Sounds like I need to go shopping. I wish I lived that close to a mall. Boy would I be in trouble.

    Oh and thanks for the blog help. I can't believe it took me so long to figure it out. Sometimes I wonder about myself.... ha ha

    P.S.... Are you going to share a pic of you in your cute pink scrubs?!? (You should)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, obviously I shouldn't post comments before 7am!! I totally misread what you said about your date night. I hope you and Wayne-o have a great night!!

    Jake just called and wants to know if we can go eat Fox's pizza when they get in and could we take him to the cafe so he can hang out with is friends!! UGH Wasn't he just with them ALL week??!! Teenagers!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, love Gymboree. Such cute things. I might need to make a visit....you inspired me:)

    Oh and I loathe panty hose. ICK!!!

    ReplyDelete