Friday, June 20, 2008

License and Registration, Please

I told you Wayne would have something special planned for tonight!

Guess what? We had the red and blue flashing lights pull us over on the interstate tonight!!

Yep! We got pulled over at 10:30 tonight on I-20 by a parish police officer. Wayne was driving. I just knew he had been speeding but he promised me that he hadn't been. The policeman told us that he pulled us over because he had been following us from Thomas Road in West Monroe to the mall exit (where he finally pulled us over) and Wayne had swerved and hit the "fog line" twice. What the heck is a fog line?

He asked for license, registration, and proof of insurance and then asked, "Sir, what have you had to drink tonight?"

I gasped and said out loud (in my southern belle voice), "Oh, my goodness!"

Wayne answered the policeman, "Sweet tea, sir. My wife and I are just headed home from going out to dinner."

Then he asked Wayne, "How is your driving record, Sir?" (By now, I'm feeling like I'm in a bad movie. I never dreamed that I would actually hear these questions in my life time!)

Wayne pulled out his UPS card and said, "Well, sir, this is where I work, so I have to have a pretty good driving record." The officer shined his light on the card and said, "Hmm.." and walked back to his car to run our plates and license.

Of course, we both knew that Wayne hadn't been drinking, but we were trying to figure out if the cop could still write us a ticket for the swerving. I thought maybe he would write us one for improper lane usage or some crazy thing like that.

Finally, the policeman came back and said, "Okay, Mr. Horton. I apologize. I was just doing my job, but you were swerving. Take your wife home and have a safe night."

Wayne is the luckiest person I know.

Laura.Sign

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! Just what did he put in that sweet tea??!!! lol Guess the police were bored tonight. So glad you didn't get a ticket!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got pulled over one time for swerving over the fog line, too! I didn't know such a thing existed! Are you sure there wasn't something else in that tea??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you ever find out what a fog line is???? I have never heard of anything like that.
    I'm glad he didn't end up getting a ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I've never heard of a fog line. I'm sure I get on that (whatever it is) all the time. Ha! I'm glad date night wasn't ruined by a stinkin' ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the kind words on my blog.
    My husband got pulled over one time with me in the car and the officer said " Whatever she is going to say to you will be worse than a ticket so I'm letting you off with a warning!" That officer was so wise!:D
    Your little Alise is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:45 PM

    This is not a surprise I am scared to ride with him........

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is lucky- I never get out of tickets! And I didn't know about a fog line either!!

    Funny that Wayne works for UPS- my hubby worked for them too while in college....We sure do miss those benefits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH MY GOSH! I can see you now!

    ReplyDelete