Thursday, June 05, 2008

Alise's Prayers

My favorite thing about being a mom these days is having the chance to listen to Alise say her prayers at night before bedtime. Her lavender bedroom, so filled with books and dress-up clothes and one too many purses, gives new meaning to the song, “Surely, the Presence of the Lord is in this Place.” Sometimes, she’ll just kneel by her bed without me even having to remind her – which is what happened last night - and those sweet words make me stop right in my tracks and join my little girl in reverence to our most Awesome God. The dirty clothes no longer need picking up, the clean ones no longer need to be hung in the closet and the toys can just stay on the floor. For a moment, the world stands still.

God has blessed Alise foremost with a heart of thankfulness. She thanks Him for people and not things (as of yet) and her list makes me smile. It varies from night to night, but the most often mentioned ones are: Moma, Daddy, Nana, Papaw, Brooklyn (when she’s in town), Uncle Steve & Aunt Donna, and Ms. Leigh. Last night, she included Uncle Doug, Aunt Mirya and Katie. I have tears in my eyes right now just thinking about it. I can see her little heart expanding so much to include the love for others in her sometimes misunderstood three year old world. Sometimes she remembers her best friends, Allie and Emma, but it is those mentioned above that makes me think that she is so blessed to have such a great circle of influence by the “grownups” she does mention. I secretly remind myself to never overlook the influence to a child. I can't imagine God not smiling at my daughter's prayers.

Growing up in my own Christian home, it was my dad who taught me to pray. And now as a mother, I don’t want to take my privilege lightly of teaching my own daughter to do the same. My daily prayer for Alise is that one day, she will have that personal relationship with Christ and I believe it begins with parents who love the Lord and are willing to pass down those Christian beliefs and values of prayer. I believe when the disciples first asked Jesus, “Lord, teach us to pray,” the task began of teaching future generations all about that special privilege of communicating with God. As her mother, I have taught her to ask God to “come into her heart” and to “help her be a good girl.” The first phrase I taught her believing whole-heartedly that one day that prayer would be answered. The second phrase I taught her was probably the result of spending the majority of the day in time-out or for getting in trouble at school. Nevertheless, God decides to answer that particular prayer from time to time.

It still amazes me that God can use my daughter - a three year old little girl - to teach me so much about myself. And the lessons or reminders come in subtle ways and circumstances. I use to be too proud to pray before a meal at a restaurant. Now, Alise won’t let us touch our food without saying the blessing and we oblige her just to hear her. I never knew – and still don’t sometimes – the meaning of true patience. I had the “want-it-now” attitude. When she says, “Mommie, wait for me,” now I want to wait forever. And whenever she says, “Mommie, I love you” out of the clear blue, my heart just melts. Yes, she can be clingy and her nick-name these days seems to be “Velcro,” but deep down I know that I wouldn’t trade these moments for anything in the world and so I use the opportunities and the chances that I’m given to try to instill in my daughter the value of a person, the importance of love, and God’s most precious gift.

“Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.” –Proverbs 22:6

Laura.Sign

6 comments:

  1. Earthly parentship is such a blessing and one of the neatest and humbling ways God shares his love for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alise is so sweet! I love listening to my kids pray too. It fills my heart with joy:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an uplifting post! Thanks so much for sharing this. I pray for my daughter to know the Lord early in life and follow after him all her days!

    By the way, I love the name Alise...it is so beautiful. I don't know anyone else with that name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is about the sweetest thing I have read lately. There is nothing more pure than a prayer from a child! I am so looking forward to Evan and Ella also wanting to say their prayers. What a lucky little girl Alise is to have a mom that is showing her God's love every day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an awesome and amazing responsibility God gives us as parents. Thanks for that post- its always good to be reminded of this

    ReplyDelete
  6. what an awesome and amazing responsibility God gives us as parents. Thanks for that post- its always good to be reminded of this

    ReplyDelete