Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Horton’s lost a special friend this past weekend in the life of Lance Michael Thomas. Lance was in Wayne’s college department at church. Because they were both so much alike, they struck up a true friendship. He also worked at Chic-fil-a in the mall and that’s where Alise and I came to know him…from our “Horton Family Rituals” on Friday nights. Lance was very kind to us and we loved to talk football with him. Unlike most of Wayne’s friends who aren’t Alabama fans, Lance never bashed us for being BAMA lovers and he and Wayne loved to talk about the Yankees, too. Wayne went to Lance’s wake last night because he knew he couldn’t make it to the funeral and his father hugged Wayne and told him, “I know you! You’re the Alabama guy! You just don’t know how much you meant to Lance.” Wayne came home with tears in his eyes. Such a sweet and kind life cut so short by tragedy. Please remember the Thomas family in your prayers.

Yes, Mirya, I have come down from my caffeine high. (You are probably all grateful for that!) Oh! And for those inquiring minds, I never made it to Starbucks yesterday! Amie just never could find me a drink that had zero calories and fat with as much chocolate and whip cream as I wanted. {Laughing} If any of you out there know of a SB drink like that, please let me know. {Still laughing}

There really is no place like home. Alise and Nana were sitting on the couch last night reading a book when I walked in. She took the blanket that she was holding and threw it over her face as if to hide from me when she saw me. She then pulled it down and had the biggest grin on her face. She told me she missed me and loved me a thousand times last night and couldn’t keep herself off me, touching me and kissing me. I took it all in with such joy! I had missed her a heckuva lot, too. To celebrate, I let her stay up past her bed time – WAY past her bed time. I finally had to promise her that I would wake her up when I got ready to go to bed and we would make a pallet on her floor and sleep together. I kept my promise and as she drifted off again, she said, “Mommie, I love you.” That time, I cried.

So, yes, today it was back to the real world. The real world of alarm clocks, a child that didn’t want to go to school or put her clothes on. A world of no breakfast foods because I haven’t been to the grocery store in three weeks. The sight of yet another messy house and another day to fight the traffic. No maid service. No time for a long hot bath in the mornings (As a matter of fact, it was one of those scenes when I pulled back the shower curtain this morning, Alise scared me because there she was…sitting on the toilet seat lid just waiting for me!) I’ve traded in my “Mrs. Horton’s” for “Moma’s” once again. Oh, pooh. I wouldn’t trade it for anything!

I am getting really ansy about Alise’s party this weekend. First of all, because of the weather. The forecast is back up to a 40% chance of rain on Saturday (30% on Friday). Secondly, I don’t think anybody’s coming. I haven’t heard from any of Alise’s little friends at school. I did run in to Stephanie, Ella’s mom, this morning at school and she told me they were going to try to make it, but that they had family coming in town. I don’t really expect them; after all, they live in Ruston (but we went to Ella’s party in Ruston). I know it’s a bad weekend because of the holiday and I knew that when I planned it, so, oh, well. Whatever. I just want Alise to have a good birthday! Linda, my friend from work, is bringing Madison and Claudia. Linda can’t keep a secret, so she told me that they got Alise a pink and white soft ball, a pink t-ball glove, and a pink and white backpack. Oh, my goodness! She will love that! As for the plans, I still have a lot of running around to do. I’ve got to get cokes for the adults and the stuff to make piggies-in-a-blanket, and the ice cream. My mom is going with me on Friday to pick up the cake so that she can hold it while I drive. I’ve asked her to keep it at her house and bring it to the party the next day. Moma said that she hasn’t talked to Michael, but that she is assuming he and Brooklyn are still planning to come for the weekend. Oh, and I’ve got to put the party hats and blowers together (who would have thought that they would have been mailed to us unassembled?).

Alise got in trouble at school today. Ms. Gloria told me that she was back-talking her alot today. I knew something was up when Alise wouldn't even come to me when I picked her up. So, we didn't get to do anything "fun" when I picked her up, nor did I stop and get her an icee like I told her I would this morning. She didn't get to watch any TV tonight or play outside and Wayne talked to her and spanked her when he got home. So you can imagine what it was like at our house tonight. We put her to bed early just because she was SO tired.

1 comment:

  1. Matthew (my husband works in the mall) was telling me about this family's loss. :(

    I hope the party isn't rained out!

    ReplyDelete