Saturday, May 31, 2008

Crawfish Ettouffe - Picture Style

I am so excited about this post! I made Crawfish Ettouffe (pronounced /e-too-fay/) this afternoon and I recorded the whole thing in pictures for you to see!! How great is that? Now, before I post, let me just make some clarifications. First of all, I do live in Louisiana, but I do NOT have alligators in my back yard. I live in NORTH Louisiana, not SOUTH Louisiana and let me just tell ya, there IS a difference!! Second, we do eat crawfish. They are similiar to shrimp, so if you like shrimp, you would probably like crawfish. And, third, I think I'm pretty good with making a roux (pronounced /roo/). So, here goes:

CRAWFISH ETTOUFFE

You will need 1/2 cup of chopped celery, 1 cup each of green onions and white onion (I accidently deleted my picture of the onions, but I'm sure you get it). The perfect time to do all the chopping is while your three year old daughter is watching "The Wizard of Oz" for the umpteenth time!
I can't tell you important it is to have a cast-iron skillet for this recipe. It was probably one of those wedding presents that was so heavy and when you finally unwrapped it, you faked that smile and all you could possibly think to say was, "Oh, thank you SOOOOOOOOOO much!" Actually, my grandmother gave me my skillet thirteen years ago and the ONLY time I use it is when I make ettouffe. A regular skillet will do, but cast-iron is so much better.
Next, melt 4 tablespoons of butter and 3 tablespoons of flour.
This step begins the roux process. As you stir the butter and flour, it becomes pasty. Keep stirring.

This recipe calls for 2 cans of stewed tomatoes. Wayne doesn't like big chunks of tomatoes in anything, so I puree' them in a blender and then add them to my dutch oven.

By now, your roux should be getting "crumbly." Keep stirring. It is so important that you don't let it burn. You may have to turn up the heat.

Your roux should begin to brown and normally once it does, it browns really fast. You want to get it as dark as you can without actually burning it (You should have seen me reaching for the camera and trying to take a picture while I was stirring away!). The color of the roux will set the color and consistency of the recipe.

Pour in the vegetables and saute for about 5-10 minutes.


Here in Louisiana, we can buy frozen crawfish tails. For the recipe, you can use fresh or frozen, but fresh are a lot more work!! As you can see from the picture, the meat from the tail of the crawfish looks like shrimp. This recipe calls for 2 cups of crawfish tails.

THIS, my dear friends, is a Southern Girl's best friend!!! Red pepper and Tony Chachere's seasoning!!! These make food hot or spicy - and I'm not talking temperature, either. A friend of mine moved to Las Vegas and called her sister and begged her to send her some Tony's!! I would recommend that you add and taste, add and taste to get the seasoning how you like them. Just when I think it's hot enough, Wayne adds even more Tony's seasoning. We like our food with a kick! You can also add salt and pepper at this time.

I like to simmer mine on low for a few hours, but if you don't have the time, simply cook to a boil and then reduce heat slightly and simmer for about thirty minutes.
Walla!! Crawfish Ettouffee!! Serve over rice, add a salad and some french bread and you're done! Yum!
So, what is your favorite recipe in pictures? I can't wait to see!

10 comments:

  1. Yummy!! And I'm so impressed with all the pictures. You are turning into a professional blogger!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved seeing a recipe on your blog. :) Hope it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imagine my surprise when I saw YOUR comment about my delicious entree'!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it was delicious. I've never had crawfish. I may have tried it if I didn't know what it was. I don't do the fish thing... I know I'm weird!! Great pics:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess, not weird. I don't do the seafood thing, really, either. Just crawfish when it's IN something and fish. No shrimp, crabs, things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh this looks so good!! Great pictures, I love seeing the step by step process!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! Thanks for sharing a little Louisiana flavor! I'm in north LA, although I pull for the home team (Geaux Tigers)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good! I worked at a cajun restraunt when I was in high school and they had this on the menu...always wanted to try to make it myself! Thanks for sharing!

    And ROLL TIDE!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go Hogs!!!!! My maiden name is Horton which is one of the reasons your blog caught my eye. I'm eager to explore it more. Thanks for sharing. I would love for you to join me at diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com for Crock Pot Wednesday. Come check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My family is Cajun - so we are thoroughly familiar with Tony's, crawfish, and the ever present roux.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete