Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Cyndi’s Bakery – the lady that goes to church with my mom – emailed me back today regarding Alise’s birthday cake. She sent me some pics of cakes that she thought I might like – similar to the ones I posted here a few months ago when I was looking myself (the tiered cakes). However, since all that, I’ve decided that I don’t want a nice cake like that because I don’t think Alise would appreciate it. She would love the poodle head cake much more. Cyndi emailed to say that if she had to carve the head and use “fondant,” that it would be more expensive and take 2-3 days to make. I emailed her back because I wasn’t quite sure what she meant by “fondant.” I’m thinking that it’s the “smooth” looking icing that’s becoming quite popular around here. Anyway, if anyone knows what “fondant” is, please comment and let me know; otherwise, I’ll be waiting for Cyndi’s response and we’ll follow up with a phone call later. At this point, I don’t care what the cake costs. I want a poodle head cake with the (***) icing – do you know what I am talking about? It’s the little star icing and not a smooth icing. That’s what I have my heart set on now.

I approved the invitations from All My Love today so I should be getting them soon. I don’t know what I was thinking, but I’ve just about let everything slip up on me. I didn’t realize that we would be leaving for Alabama next week or that I needed to get Alise’s invitations mailed out in about two weeks! I also spoke to “Jumping Jacks” today regarding the space walk/jumper and was able to reserve the pink Disney Princess jumper (that’s the only thing he had that would work for a pink poodle party). The man I spoke to said that I got lucky because it was one of the most popular ones that he had and it gets rented out every weekend.

When I went to JGS at lunch to turn in Alise’s tuition form, I asked the secretary if all the spots for PreK-3 had been filled. She told me not yet, but that she only had a few vacancies remaining. Secretly, I am hoping that the class size will be small like it was the day we went to visit. The class limit is 11 per class (2 classes). With River Oaks not offering PreK-3 next year, I’m not sure what parents have decided to do. I forgot to remind her that we would really like to have Ms. Wade next year. Oh, well. Maybe she’ll remember. I saw on the school marquee that “Field Day” is this Friday. Oh, the things I have to look forward to! The elementary children were in the cafeteria, which is to the right when you walk through the front door of the school, so I peeked in the door and saw all the kiddies sitting in their red shirts and blue shorts eating lunch. On the bulletin board across from the cafeteria, the third grade class had written papers about Springtime. I liked the atmosphere and I still felt good about our decision. I know some people may not agree with our decision to send Alise to school so early; a friend told me that we were only paying for a high dollar babysitting service. I just feel like she is going to be in more of a “learning” environment than a “play” environment. Alise is so smart! The other day, I heard her counting and she can count all the way to fourteen! Another day, she was quoting the nursery rhyme, “Hickory Dickory Dock.” I was shocked! I had no idea that she could count that high or knew any nursery rhymes other than “Mary Had a Little Lamb.” She can spell her name out loud and recognizes the letter “A” wherever we are; she says, “Moma, that’s an A.” She sees this on grocery bags; on the Sears building at the mall and all kinds of places. She knows that Alise, Alabama, and Ace (ULM’s mascot ) start with the letter A. It amazes me what she has learned in two years at the Yellow House, so I can’t imagine what she’ll learn in PreK-3. At home, I am going to start practicing with her to write her name. Her “A’s” still look like three sticks sometimes, but she’s getting better.


On the way out the door this morning, Alise asked me if I would take her to the park when I picked her up this afternoon. I told her that if Ms. Gloria told me that she had been a good girl, I would take her. Well, I didn't even have to ask! Alise came running up to me when I opened the door hollering, "I've been good, Mommie! I've been good!" So...off to the park we went. We stayed for an hour. I hate to say this, but now that Alise can swing herself, it is so nice now because I can sit in the shade and watch while she plays. I ended up taking her to McDonald's afterwards for supper. I just wasn't in the mood to cook.

I am considering having Alise's 3 year old picture made in Birmingham at Portrait Innovations while we are there next week. I haven't called yet to make an appointment. I wanted to talk to Wayne about it first. I want a pic of Alise in her pink polka dot dress having a tea party with some of her stuffed animals with a white background. I think that will be cute.

4 comments:

  1. You're right about the fondant. It's just a type of icing, but different than traditional. It's the smooth, but you can also cut and carve out sculptures easily. If you've ever watched Food Network Cake Challenges then you've seen fondant. I know what you're talking about with the star piping icing. I made my nephew a Dalmatian mold and did the star piping all over it. It turned out pretty good, but a lot of work.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there is any need at all to justify sending Alise to school- you're the mommy and you know what type environment your daughter will thrive best in. I think its great! If you can believe it, my son is going to 2 year old play-school in the fall for a few hours each week. Its like pre-school, but the learning is through a more unstructured play atmosphere. We parents all have our reasons for doing what we do- I certainly would worry about any "flack" you get for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops, I meant to say I WOULDN'T worry about any flack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see the cake pictures!!!!

    I can't believe that was said to you! I have seen daycare...and I have seen REAL preschool classes where children play and learn at the same time. There is NO comparing the two! You have made a GREAT decision!

    ReplyDelete