Thursday, March 27, 2008

Thursday, March 27, 2008

These are absolutely the BEST baked beans! A little extra work, but it's worth it! I made them this weekend and everyone liked them. Also goes perfect with that Easter ham or bar-b-que!

Baked Beans

4 c. pork & beans
1/2 pound bacon, fried crisp
1 c. ketchup
1 T. worcestershire sauce
1 c. chopped onions
3/4 c. chopped bell pepper
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
2 T. prepared mustard
3/4 c. cane syrup
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. black pepper

Saute vegetables in 1/2 c. bacon drippings or oil until tender. Pour beans into 2-quart baking dish and add remaining ingredients. Bake in 300 degree oven for 2 hours.

(Source: "Cooking & Gardening with Dianne")

Baby Girl went back to school on Tuesday. She was so excited to see her little friends again! It still amazes me how inseparable those three little girls are: Emma, Allie, and Alise. There was an Easter goody bag from Emma in Alise’s locker when we got to school that morning (Allie had put one in Alise’s locker last Thursday). She insisted on taking the small egg notebook and pen in her classroom so they could “write.” How funny. Now, they are all three in to flip-flops. Alise wore hers for the first time this morning. It was so funny watching her walk in them; I think the other two are a little more skilled in them than she is. I took an extra pair of sandals to school and put them in her locker. They all three talk about having their toes painted and wearing flip-flops!

I went to Jesus Good Shepherd School (JGS – see website below) on Tuesday to pay Alise’s tuition for the 2008/2009 school year. I got so sad when I walked through the door. My baby will be going to school this fall. I was so happy (or relieved?) when I saw mosaic crosses that the children had colored so beautifully hanging on the wall as you walk in. The bulletin board was decorated in red, pink, and white hearts that read, “Jesus is Love.” That made me smile and once again, I was reassured that JGS is where Alise needs to be. It just breaks my heart that she is growing up. What happened to my tiny Baby Girl?

Speaking of babies, Alise has told me twice in the last two days that she wants a baby. I told her that she was too young to have a baby and that she had her baby dolls. She said, “No, Mommie! I want a “real” baby (That’s her newest phase these days is, “Is it real?” or “It’s not real, Mommie.”)!” I was like, child, you have NO idea what you’re asking for! I asked her if she would share her toys with another baby and she told me she would. Finally, I just told her that she would have to pray to God for a new baby. She said, “Why?” And I told her because God gives mommies and daddies babies. I’m tempted to see when she is actually going to start praying for this at night. I’ll let you know. However, I know God is in the business of working miracles, but this is one miracle I don’t plan on experiencing any time soon!!

The Horton’s are loving this cooler weather and warm sunshine. The pollen abounds! My black car has turned yellow in a matter of days! We go outside every afternoon when we get home – needless to say, I haven’t done much cooking! Wayne has been trying to get home a little earlier so that he can work on the house next door. He normally works on it until 9:00. Still putting vinyl siding up. He even took half a day off yesterday to do some work and meet the carpenter because I think it is suppose to rain most of this weekend. Here are some pictures of his progress.


My Grandma Anderson was taken to the hospital in Oak Grove late Saturday night. Her blood pressure shot up. The doctor told her it was anxiety and to take a baby aspirin every day {Laughing}. Needless to say, she is back home and doing fine. My other Grandmother – who was in the hospital – is back home and hating the nursing home once again. Of course, she resides mostly in the bed because of her cast. The only time she gets out, now, is for physical therapy for a while in the mornings. She told my aunt, “If I had it to do over again, I would have never come to the nursing home.” Little does she know that if she had fallen at home, she would have had to go to a nursing home because my mom and sisters wouldn’t be able to take care of her. She’s just not a happy camper right now.

Yesterday after work, Alise and I went to Target. Well, actually, we were headed to the mall because I forgot to bring Alise an afternoon snack when I picked her up. She quickly informed me that she wanted a cookie from the mall. But we got to Target first and when she saw the pink strawberry ice-cream, that’s all she wanted. We had fun shopping together; she was so sweet. We spent about 45 minutes in the toy section in between potty breaks. We stayed a while because I was letting her show me the things that she wanted for her birthday, which was everything, of course. We made it to the clothes section and her size bathing suits were on sale, so I let her pick one out. She chose the hot pink and white gingham suit with big yellow flowers on the front. I also got her a pink cover up for our beach trip! I also let her pick out a new sippy cup simply because she’s getting too old for the traditional types. This one is more of the tumbler style with just a top. She can drink out of a cup now, but I don’t trust her around the house just yet without a top.

Well, I think I have updated you about everything that is going on in our world. We have Josie Henkel's birthday party to go to on Saturday afternoon and by brother, his wife and cousin Brooklyn will be in sometime late Friday night for the weekend. Alise is so excited about her cousin coming in town! That's all she's talked about! We'll be celebrating "Easter" at my mom and dad's later Saturday afternoon and night. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to hear all about her wonderful days at her new school! :)

    We moved "way" out here because we were so SICK of living in WEST MONROE! Hee hee! My friend Myka says we were something serious when we said we didn't want to be in west Monroe anymore. Ha ha!

    We are loving it out here!

    ReplyDelete