Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Wednesday, September 5, 2007


We had a great time in Tuscaloosa and Birmingham this past weekend. The game was exciting, the shopping and eating were wonderful (Yes, I got to go to Sephora and J.Jill) and the extra sleep was badly needed – although staying out until midnight and not actually going to bed until 1 o’clock most nights didn’t help, but it made me feel young again. Sometimes you just need those things. Wayne bought a zillion Alabama t-shirts and walked away from the game carrying a 12-piece place setting of souvenir cups. As for Alise, I think she was good for her care-takers. I think she worried Amie a little because she woke up sick Saturday morning, but she was fine the rest of the weekend. Let’s just blame it on those gummy worms at Cameron’s house the night before.

The one thing that I couldn’t get over after not seeing Alise for two days was her vocabulary! It seemed like over night she has begun putting long sentences together and saying “meaningful” things. I don’t know how else to explain it, but to give you examples. For instance, she said, “I’m going to put this in my purse because I don’t want to loose it.” Or, “Look at me, Mommie! I’m upside down!” It’s just crazy! And I love to hear her say this (although it is not very “meaningful;”), “You got somemor’ kockit milk?” I love to hear her say, “chocolate” and “Alabama.” We’ve only had to threaten with the wooden spoon a few times since our return, much to my surprise! I told Wayne that we would have to ‘break her in’ when we got back, but actually, she’s been really good.

I can tell that Alise is looking forward to cooler weather. She has begun noticing the park again in the mornings on the way to school and she’ll say, “It’s not too hot, Moma. It’s not too hot.” I told her that I would take her to the zoo when it got cooler and her blue eyes just lit up. Speaking of the zoo, they are having a Celtic Festival the first weekend in October and I plan to take Alise to that. Wayne asked me what a Celtic Festival was and I told him that I had no idea. Sounds Irish to me. I must say that even I am looking forward to getting back outside and enjoying some cooler weather on the weekends. Alise is dying to play in her Castle again!

Alise’s closet is bare. Before we left for Alabama, I went to Target and bought two of the huge plastic storage boxes they had on sale. I plan to use one to put possible Ebay sales in for next year. The other one, I plan to use when it is time to box up all her spring and summer clothes. Would you believe I still have some of her 3 and 6 month dresses – the nice ones – hanging in her closet? I just can’t part with those, but I also need to store some of them. Except for a few sundresses that Alise will still wear – for how long is a good guess – and some school clothes (and the old stuff still hanging in the back), her closet is as bare as its ever been! It looks so strange to not have a closet full of clothes anymore!! Today, she wore her smocked monkey dress to school and she was so excited about it…although we had to go “bow-less” this morning because the last time she wore this dress to school, she managed to break the only orange and white bow she had! I begged her this morning to PLEASE not get her dress too dirty. Last week, she wore her smocked watermelon dress to school and it came home black! I was looking at the dress this morning, and I think it is going to require another “shouting out” and another wash to get the stains out.

Speaking of washing, I think our dryer is about to go out. It’s nearly 13 years old, so I guess it’s dried a few loads of clothes in its lifetime. Wayne said that there was a drier at the rent house next door, so we’ll probably just use that one. Also, Wayne called me at lunch today and said that he has sold his old truck. We’re excited about that!

Tomorrow night, we are going to my parent’s house to eat for supper. Daddy is suppose to pick up some KFC and mom is going to fix all the trimmings. I’m sure Alise and Brooklyn will have a great time playing together. Mom and Dad bought Alise a life jacket similar to Brooklyn’s, so as long as her ears are covered, she can swim like a fish. But I don’t think the girls will be able to go swimming. The sun hasn’t been out much here these days and Daddy said that the one day they did take Brooklyn swimming, she got out complaining that the water was too cold in Ms. Paula’s pool.

We don’t have any major plans for the weekend. For about the third weekend in a row, my plan is to do some fall cleaning, but like I said, I haven’t gotten around to that yet. I’ve managed to get Alise’s room in order, now I need to tackle the middle bedroom. But after you’ve worked all week, the last thing you want to do is clean on the weekends!! I’m considering taking some time off in October, so maybe by then, I’ll be in the mood to “clean out and throw away.” I might try to finish painting Alise’s doll cradle this weekend, too. Wayne, of course, will be working on the rent house. I know I’ve said that I was going to post pictures, but I just haven’t had time yet. The countertops and flooring look so good!! Oh, yes! And we have to put out our Alabama flag and football people this weekend! Can you believe that we haven’t done that yet? After all, football season is here!! ROLL TIDE!

1 comment:

  1. she only had me a little worried...i knew she'd be alright :)

    ReplyDelete