Monday, December 04, 2006

Christmas Devotional - No 2

I bought a Christmas ornament for our tree this year that says in big white letters, “This Home Believes.” Now, for the retail market out there, they probably meant it for Santa. But when I bought the ornament, I meant it for Jesus. A few Sundays later, I was sitting in church and I began thinking about what exactly it was that we believed. Our home believes what? I came across this verse that day in 1 John 5:13, “These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.” I had circled the word believe each time. Beth Moore writes, “…but we have His God-breathed promises on paper in permanent marker” (The Patricarchs). How fortunate we, as believers, are to have the promises of God. By simply making a choice, we have the assurance of eternal life. We have the confidence that no matter what life brings our way, whether it’s pain, disappointment, or sorrow, we can continue to believe in the goodness of God.

Then I thought about another time during Jesus’ ministry when a father came to Jesus and asked him to heal his dying daughter. Jesus told him, “All things are possible to him who believes.” And the father cried out, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief.” The father’s honest response of recognizing that he believed but knowing his belief was imperfect, was the first step in pleasing God. See, it’s okay to say, “Lord, I really want to believe You in this situation, but I don’t feel like my faith is strong enough.” He already knows. He wants to hear it from you so that He alone can make your faith as strong as it needs to be.

Our family believes in the miracle of His birth. We believe that Jesus was perfect and that he shed his own blood and died on the cross for our sins. We believe that He arose three days later and that He is coming again to call his children home and to reunite us with those that have gone before us. We look forward to that day with great anticipation, for there are those who we love and miss dearly this time of year. Our Home Believes.

No comments:

Post a Comment