Sunday, November 19, 2006

Sunday, November 19, 2006

It's Sunday morning and the house is quiet. Wayne has to cook breakfast for the college department so he took Baby Girl with him. I wasn't wild about that, but there was no way I was going to make it to Sunday School with her this morning. She's been up since 5:30 and I just couldn't seem to get things moving this morning. So we're just going to Sunday School today.

I noticed in the church bulletin that today is Baby Dedication Day. It's hard to believe that a year ago today we were dedicating our own baby to the Lord. I can remember that day as if it were yesterday....Alise "talking" during Bill's prayer. I remember the peach shantung gown that she wore...a gift from our friends in Houston. I still have her pink rose sitting on her dresser (I've got to learn how to press flowers!). And I have just the perfect picture of Wayne standing in front of the church looking so proud as he held Alise. I remember thinking that day that we had finally come full circle. We were now a family. My life was complete. It still is.

Today is picture day for the Horton's. Our appointment with Olan Mills is at 3:00 today. I'm anxious to see if Alise will cooperate. I've noticed if you tell her to say "cheese" she tends to do a little better with the picture taking. We'll see.

You're going to laugh but last night I watched "100 Greatest Songs of the 80's" on VH1. Well, there wasn't a good football game on and Wayne was watching who knows what and I really had planned to go to bed, but I started flippin' through the channels first. I stayed up until 11:00 watching it. It was the neatest thing to see clips of all those old videos (I use to stay up late on Friday nights watching music videos. They use to come on after the Johnny Carson show) and how those singers and bands look now! I missed the first 60 songs, so I caught the show at about number 41. I just knew that Michael Jackson's "Thriller" was going to be number one--not because I like that song, but just because it was so popular. I remember roller skating at the rink to that song. I was so glad that I was wrong! You will never guess in a million years which song was number 1! I was even surprised! Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer" was number 1! I really like that song, and I like Bon Jovi, but I don't necessarily know that I would have made it number 1 on my list. The song was a hit in 1986, which means that it's twenty years old! I went to bed thinking, "Gosh, so much has changed!" Twenty years ago, I was thirteen, we were still living in our house in Town East and I had a black stool in my room (Yes, it clashed with the lavender painted walls and the canopy bed with the organza bedspread!) that I would sit my "boom box" on and listen to the local "dedications" on FM106 with Tripper Lewis (Is it coming back to you for some of you out there?). So innocent. So naive. So sheltered. So in between of still being the child and yet trying so desperatly to grow up, too. Maybe that's why I like the 80's so much, because that was my "coming of age" I guess you could say. I mean, for my parent's, it was the 60's, for me, it was the 80's, and for Alise....let's not even go there. I can't imagine what her time will be like. I mean, just looking back at how far the singers and songs have changed, it is so scary! But I do hope that when she gets as old as her mother is right now, that she will be able to look back at some segment of her life and say, "Yep! Those were the days!"

No comments:

Post a Comment