Saturday, September 09, 2006

Chicken Enchiladas & Mexican Corn and Rice Casserole

Wayne and I are trying to save money when it comes to eating out. Normally, we start eating out on Thursday night and go all through Sunday....Pizza or Wendy's, Chic-fil-a, Chili's, pizza again on Sunday night...that's normally the way it goes for us. But now that our best friends attend the 11:00 service on Sunday mornings, we've lost our "Sunday lunch bunch friends." So now it has become a game to me to try to figure out what I can make for Sunday lunch so we can skip restaurants and just eat at home (and then go to pizza after Sunday night church with our friends). The menu has varied from week to week, but I am putting my crockpot and oven timer to good use. We've had lunches of Taco Soup, lasagna, or spaghetti. Tomorrow, we're having Chicken Enchiladas (I just finished rolling them up and stuck the pan in the refrigerator) and Mexican Corn and Rice Casserole. The recipes (below) are easy and compliments of my friend Nicole. She made these dishes for us after I had Alise. I also made a chocolate pie today (the kind where you just mix chocolate pudding and cool whip together and pour it into a pie crust...so easy!) Enjoy!

P.S. If you have a recipe to share, send it to me! Especially if it's easy and can be refrigerated overnight.

Chicken Enchiladas

chicken breasts, boiled and chopped
sour cream
1 can cream of chicken
1 can chopped chillies (I don't use the whole can)
diced green onions
Monteray Jack cheese
cheddar cheese
flour tortillas

Mix sour cream, soup, chilies and onions. Add cheese and chicken. Mix thoroughly. Add milk to desired consistency. Spoon mixture into tortillas and roll. Place in 9 x 13 baking dish. Cover with more cheese. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes (doubling time if refrigerated).


Mexican Corn & Rice Casserole

1 pkg Saffron rice (I'm going to try it using Minute Rice...couldn't find the Saffron type)
1 can cream style corn
1 can whole kernal or Mexicorn
1/2 c. cheddar cheese
1/2 c. Monterey Jack cheese

Cook rice according to directions. Drain corn. Mix all ingreadients. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment