Monday, July 31, 2006

Monday, July 31, 2006

Alise had to get stuck again today. My heart just fell when Dr. Dugas said he was going to order another blood test.

We went to our appointment today at 2:45. Dr. Dugas was reviewing the lab results and talking to me at the same time. He could tell that she had had a cold recently (I don't know how?). Then he said, "Uh-oh. This doesn't look good." He was referring to her anemic test (I know that's not what it's called, but I'm not a doctor, so I don't know the technical name, of course). He said normally the results are around 20-23. Alise's results were 71!! My heart just dropped. All I could think about was Alise lying on a gurny in surgery bleeding to death!!! He said that sometimes, when the phlembotomist doesn't get the blood into the vial correctly, the results are skewed and he has seen this happen before. He listed some signs of being anemic and said, "Obviously, your daughter is not anemic, but I want to know for sure before we do surgery. This is your baby and I know you would want me to take these kinds of precautions." So, we made yet ANOTHER trip to the hospital and Alise totally freaked out when we walked through the door to the lab. She recognized the room and then when the phlembotomist came out, I thought she was going to go into cardiac arrest!! This time, I held her in my lap and another nurse held her arm. It went MUCH better! She didn't cry nearly as long but she was giving the nurse the "evil eye." Poor thing now has "two bo-bos"...one in each arm!

We have to be at the hospital at 6:00 in the morning. I'll update the blog tomorrow when we get home from the hospital and get settled. I expect us to be home before noon if everything goes okay. I didn't realize that Alise was going to be on a "liquid diet" for a while. You would know that I gave her the last of the jello tonight! Just pray that everything will go okay.

P.S. I ordered Alise's table and chairs today off www.littletykes.com. It's the blue table and yellow chairs. She deserves something after all this trauma!

P.S.S. I also signed up Alise for gymnastics for September. I've decided she can still be a diaper daredevil for the Fall.

1 comment:

  1. Everything will be fine, I'll call and check on her!

    ReplyDelete